(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/22/02
>Docomo-hating Ken writes:
>
>>the reason why 'net -> DoCoMo i-shot messaging won't be allowed
>>is because when you receive an i-shot message, the sender is
>>the "photo-server@docomo-camera.ne.jp".  this opens a wide door
>>for spams, that you may have to set a filter to block the great
>>new DoCoMo service.
>
>I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I was talking about this:
>you put a .gif image up on a web page, put the URL in an e-mail you send
>to a phone, and the phone will replace the URL with an icon when the
>user sees it, and automatically download the image and display it within
>the e-mail.

(1)
Curt, I was talking about i-shot.  sending by mail a URL not
only to a GIF/JPEG image but a properly rendered Web page,
a post card, and links for playback audio/video clips from
streaming servers, is a idea we've been working on for years
within WAP/3GPP.  but few users'll want to do it manually ...
they're not as good as Curt.

there are many products on the market since a year and half ago,
Ericsson, CMG, Nokia, Comverse, and Logica.  none is perfect but
even the poorly designed ones are far better than Sha-Mail, not
even to mention the sick i-shot.

(2)
just the facts I observed:
- 251i/i-shot is a poor imitation of Sha-Mail, and
- 504i/DoJa2 is hardly the same level as J-SH08/51/JSCL.

machiuke + 3D engine are standard J-Phone features since J-SH07
more than a year ago, and J-Phone has been providing the service
at low price: 8 + 8 yen for send-recv vs. i-shot's 10 + 20 yen.

if you want picture messaging, J-SH08 is the choice, and if you
also want MP3, SD card, and 28.8 kb/s packet, there's nothing
as J-SH51.  both are about the same or better than DoCoMo's new
504i/251i phones, and J-SH09 and J-SH52 are coming soon (maybe
in a month time).

btw, you could say I "hate" Movie Sha-Mail.  au/KDDI is where
you should go for movies.  it's really a hard job to transfer
motion pictures over the 3-channel PDC air-interface (and we
got this silly Nancy).

cheers,

Ken