(keitai-l) Re: DoCoMo caught again by its own success

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/27/02
Michael,

>It is worth pointing out that not all machiuke apps are programmed to
>connect to the network, and for those that do - you can force it to not use
>the network by turning off the network connection for that application only
>(or all apps if you are really concerned).

that's a good point.

(1) what's new (or what's missing)
machiuke may be not a suitable name because it's only one of
the many things that J-Phone Java can do.  basically, there'is
only one trick that computer students learn as basic: multitask,
(and task swapping to allow CPU power saving), which is missing
from the original DoJa.

if you run a Java appli on 503, one interesting effect is that
you cannot receive i-mode mail while the appli is running, and
you cannot use other phone functions.

I'm not surprised DoCoMo/NEC designed their way.  I'd describe
them "think as relays".  I don't know if you did relay logic,
slow, simple, accurate (as designed), ... hard-wired.

(2) more appli download
even for appli's which have no communication function, like a
stand-alone game, "machiuke" allows for comfortable experience
because you don't have to start Java again each time.

this is the reason low-end J-Phone subscribers use Java more
than richer DoCoMo users, and if you play appli's a lot, you'll
download more because you'll enjoy what you pay, which DoCoMo
users couldn't have before 504i.

will appreciate if anyone has user survey of 504 i-appli usage.

cheers,

Ken