(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones - USB & WPAN

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/30/02
(1)
one thing for sure is that the market has its own life and moves
on regardless of what we like or not: as everyone can see,
Sha-Mail is a run away success, but the Pashapa isn't.

"everything cordless" may be a good idea for octopus, not human
beings.  how will you hold a camera head smaller than a peanut,
a transflective color LCD, processor & memory card, a controller,
and power (sent in radio as to contactless smart cards?) ...
all bara-bara?

many things other than the lens-CCD we already or will have on
a mobile (don't tell me you don't need a color LCD because it
adds no value to the phone's prime function - talking) not only
a mobile is easier to hold than a PDA (handheld?) but also it's
a share of resource to make the integrated device smaller and
more powerful.

(2)
USB can feed power to the connected devices but most cordless
design will have to include a battery.  you'll have to remember
to charge all of them on an array of adapters, some every week,
some every other days, ... enjoy.

USB 2.0 with mini-B port should be on every peripheral device:
DVD/CD, camera, keyboard, and game controller.  please remember
besides FDMA, TDMA, and CDMA, there's always a simple solution
to provide best capacity: WDMA - wire divided multiple access.

if you don't like the cords, a simple spring roller to retrieve
into the device may help.

(3)
I agree with Benjamin on many things, like a phone is a phone
and doesn't need the camera function.  it doesn't.  a camera
needs to have network function, maybe via WLAN ... or PHS.
but for a small camera with MP3 and can comfortably be held
in hand, why not we also use it to talk?

let dumb phones be dumb phones for dumb guys - AT&T wireless's
MoU was 482 (8 hrs) in the second quarter, while I think it's
200 some in Japan.  why does AWE need mMode?

after all, we return to and live with markets, not daydreams.

cheers,

Ken