(keitai-l) Re: Japan ranks 20th in mobile Internet use

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 09/20/02
well - yes - but no....

using the relationship between a calculator and a mainframe in an
analogical argument to cast light on the relationship between fixed line
and wireless does not add clarity to the discussion. The products you
mention all  had different markets - with more or less overlap in each
case. In many cases the overlap was strictly limited.

Landline and wireless have sufficient overlap in use for the concept of
substitution to be appropriate in a sense in which the
mainframe/calculator "substitution" is not. Wireless is a bit iffy for
receiving faxes, but apart from that it can completely replace landline in
many, many situations. Of course it can also do a lot more but the concept
of substitution still applies.

now - if your point is that mobile access using the built in screen of the
mobile and mobile browsers/is a "new market" in some sense and should not
be conceived as replacing (displacing would be a better word) desktop
based internet access, then I take the point. But that is not an access
method issue, that is display terminal capability - a different point to
the one I took cjs as making. I took his point to be that internet access
via a desktop laptop is quite possible and relatively inexpensive through
wireless - and that being so his wireless access DOES replace his fixed
line access.

Nick