(keitai-l) Re: SMS/mobile Internet/TV

From: James Santagata <jsanta_at_audiencetrax.com>
Date: 09/29/02
   At 10:09 AM 9/27/02 +0900, you wrote:
>     I like this discussion....
>
>     I remember hearing that in Britain they have had some kind of interactive
>TV for years... long before SMS.  Some kind of extra screen??
>That startled me.

Most likely what you are talking about is vertical blanking which originally
enabled closed captioning and tele-text and now can enable
html and other enhanced tv broadcasts. This was developed in the US
in the 1970's and started with ABC and PBS.

The  Vertical Blanking Interval, or VBI  is the period that the scanning
electron beams
projected from your picture tube to the back of the screen take to return
from the
end of each frame and then start the next scan.

>Also on the other side TV polls by telephone for tallys are also very
>popular in the US.
>(Talk shows.... CNBC etc)
>But these things just haven't caught on in Japan which is why they are not
>here.  We got some weirder mobile stuff here.  Like they used to have this
>date detector thing.... really weird... where you detect if someone else
>has the
>same device nearby set to the opposite sex.

That's the lovegety. Which was actually a good idea I thought. Not only
to locate interested parties but to filter them out -- much like the concept of
a wedding band. Not only to confirm and remind the couple of their vows
but to communicate to the outside world they are not available.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,12899,00.html

>     It makes sense that SMS could be used for these things as well.
>(So could email ... or beepers ... or anything).
>
>     We're definitely talking more culture here than technology.

Yes, lots of communication channels are possible to communicate
back.

James Santagata

A U D I E N C E T R A X
Monetize your Media (tm)