(keitai-l) Re: 3G and wireless video

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 09/30/02
I would say that the problem with FOMA is not only the handsets but also the
fact that UMTS is not compatible with PDC, which has resulted in a very low
transition rate of users from 2G to FOMA.

In comparison, KDDI, which uses CDMA 2000 1x, and has full backward
compatibility for 2G users, has 2.4 million subs for 3G, proving that, so
long as the build out is done intelligently, people do want 3G and are
willing to upgrade.

At present, there is little practical benefit for mova users to go to FOMA -
they lose their number, they have bad coverage, they have to switch between
networks and phones, prices are high for service when you can get a signal,
and most importantly, the main multimedia services that were supposed to
differentiate FOMA from mova (like camera phone functionality) were made
available on the 2G network.

In all, FOMA has been a very expensive experiment for DoCoMo at this point
that has yet to bear fruit, despite its promise.

Mark

--
Mark Frieser
Consect

mobile devices, applications, services, content and applications from Asia,
Europe and North America.