(keitai-l) Re: Wireless P2P?

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 11/11/02
Evan Owens wrote:

>Anyone know of any interesting keitai-based wireless P2P projects either
>here or abroad?  Anything where the handsets communicate via IR or
>BlueTooth.
>
>You know, like a really souped-up Love Getty or something.

There is a company called Skyley http://www.skyley.com which has this
goal in mind, but unfortunately achieveing this kind of thing through
keitai is diffficult because the phone network providers have a vested
interest in making your packets run through a base station.  I believe
there is some discussion of this in the final section of:

http://www.legamedia.net/legamall/2002/02-09/0209_joseph_sam_p2p_03.php

The Japanese P2P group Jnutella's avowed aim is to get real p2p working
over keitai, but are still stuck on waiting for the right kind of
hardware.  There is as yet, nothing that gives developers a programmatic
interface for direct handset-handset communication (i.e. not through the
base station).  Which is a shame because it would be very interesting if
there was.  E.g.

http://www.japaninc.com/mag/comp/2001/06/jun01_filter_pop.html

CHEERS> SAM