(keitai-l) Re: reading bar codes

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/20/02
the confirmation of payment via the bar code (via photo or infrared) is an
interesting application. many of the concert ticket providers and train
companies are pushing for the use of smart cards as opposed to infrared or
photo of bar codes in combination with internet reservations. I am not
technically capable of evaluating the security functions of the infrared or
photo of bar codes but the firms tell me that it is probably (still doing
experiments) not secure enough and thus they are aiming for smart cards. a
recent article (this month) in the nikkei that discussed Pia ticket's
experiments said pretty much the same thing. Perhaps payments via bar code
via photos or infrared will occur in inexpensive purchases like the bentos
or cheap tickets like the odakyu tickets (in place since last summer) and
more expensive purchases will require smart cards.
jeff funk