(keitai-l) Re: predictions

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 01/10/03
>The Exilim (and the Sony Cybershot-U, while you're on about it) was
>successful as a camera, not a telephone. If people are looking for
>megapixel cameras in their telephones, it's because they want to combine
>a traditional digital camera and a telephone into one unit, not because
>they want to pay 600 yen or more in packet charges per picture that they
>mail to another telephone.

as an aside to my previous comment on curt's calculation for current 2G
systems, what do people think of qualcomm's argument that 3G data can be
priced less than $0.10 per megabyte or less than 1/200 the current i-mode
packet charge? see the whitepaper on the economics of wireless data on
qualcomm's home page: http://www.qualcomm.com/about/downloads.html
if qualcomm's estimates are even close to reality, 3G systems will
completely change the economics of sending photos, videos, and music.
jeff funk
kobe university