(keitai-l) Re: Earphone mic usage in japan

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_cornell.edu>
Date: 02/09/03
    I bought an earphone-mic in Japan 2 years ago for about 700 Yen.
They are everywhere and are also called handsfree sets here as well.  They
were in common usage for quite some time before that, but the usage
seems to have dropped a bit.

    I found on my old TH-92 (a model from a long time ago) that
it drained the battery very quickly, so much so that I couldn't use it
for regular use, even though I wanted to, and so I haven't used
it much since (even though I have long since upgraded to the TP01 and
then the TT21, I haven't used it for personal use since) .
But I use it all the time at work to test my chakumelo
on various models so I don't disturb my neighbors too much ( but some
handsets like the P504 have a different jack so I can't use it on those).

    As for the streets, quite afew people do use it walking down the streets.
Its not common, but its not rare either.  You might just think they are
talking to someone else since most of the time the streets in Japan
are so crowded you probably think they are talking to the person next to them.

    When I bought one of our testphones, the JPE-03 it came with a free hands
free
kit!  Cool.

    The handset free kits are sold in Bikku camera, and many other keitai
retailers,
but I do not see them in the TuKa, DoCoMo, JPhone or AU shops much.  Try
any discount keitai store and they'll be there usually next to the blinking
antenna display.

    Last year or is it 2 years ago they started having stereo versions of
the usually monophone handsfreekit.  I don't think it caught on much though...
at least not yet, but its been tried.  And I am not sure if the stereo version
had a microphone or not.