(keitai-l) Re: gimmick, but....

From: Northcott Tracey <tracey_at_enfour.co.jp>
Date: 02/20/03

>What you naive dreamers don't realise is that while everyone is
>becoming technically able to publish, that doesn't mean that everything
>will qualify for publishing. As the example of Mac & DTP: Yes, everyone
>can do graphics now, like everyone can do web pages, but most of the
>time DIY jobs are dull and ugly. Thus it's left to the pros. Besides
>WHY should I visit that site/view those photos etc, unless I know you
>or we share some niche interest and you are really relevant to it?

No everything posted on the web is not fit for general consumption of the
masses - it doens't make everybody a journalist - however - this
technology is simply another very useful communication tool just as email
is a very convenient communication tool... There are only a very few
blogs that I visit on a regular basis, but the ones I love are not the
slickest or the most professional, they are made by the people that I
know and love and I have a real interest in what they are doing/thinking.

What is the most popular feature of internet enabled mobile phones -
"email" or "SMS" hands down!!!  This is where people use the application
to communicate with family and friends.  The market is mature enough that
users are using technology in the way that suits them and not sitting
back and waiting for somebody to entertain, inform or whatever.  Also,
users are savvy enouh not to just spoon fed on the apps and content that
are available or included but are actively seeking new apps that will fit
into their needs, lifestyle and that are compatible with the hardware
already in their possession..

A commercial software application or content site that doesn't allow the
user to customise will not be as popular as the ones that allow flexibilty.

So what, if most of the stuff published on blogs is of no interest to
anyone but a small handful? Freedom of information and a free flow of
ideas no matter how small is always a good thing IMHO.

Tracey

"Had your dailyTango yet?"