(keitai-l) Re: You've got mail from AIBO!

From: Jan Chipchase <jan_at_gomagoma.com>
Date: 04/08/03
>> Aibo & Keitai and Robotics:
> Now mans new best friend can deliver spam too. Just what we need.

// juergen wrote //
>> The people I saw at the Robodex where really
excited of the idea that their electric pet can stay in contact
with them. Just because it can send email, it's not always SPAM
but can be very much anticipated email.

You are correct of course - it might be very anticipated email, and having AIBO deliver it could be great. But consider the amount of relevant vrs non-relevant mail that gets through to your phone/pc. SPAM a pain in the butt to deal with even with filtering tools etc. So spam on the AIBO+ is going to be easy deal with? Whats the AIBO equivilent of the delete key? a kick perhaps?

I see the potential. I also see a huge gulf between the potential, and the ability to deliver the potential in a way which is meaningful to people.

Of course, its genuinely nice to see people excited. However the reasons people often become excited 'its new!' 'no one else has it' become the same reasons to reject it later on, unless in the mean time it manages to deliver so to speak.

I presume Sony work hard on playing up the trust angle in the relationship between AIBO and its 'owner'. How much spam before that trust is gone?

> why so negative?

Negative? - Definitely
Realistic - Probably

Jan