(keitai-l) Is music download over 3G a possible business?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/26/03
My question is. Can we realistically see in the next future music
download services over 3G?

I know that in Japan Ntt DoCoMo has done some trials ...

There is not doubt that there is a market for this if ringtones,
Walkmans and MP3 players are so popular. Handset with expandable memory
or even MicroDrives could be perfect but... I have two doubts:

Is the 3G network bandwith capable of supporting such a service with an
acceptable cost?
Is MP3 P2P already jeopardizing this opportunity?

I know that "ITU envisages 3G networks (Not 4G) capable of delivering
up 30 mbps under optimum signal and traffic conditions by 2005".

As far I know Telco operators are already quiet worried about he
spectrum that is today assigned to every license. It looks like that
managing an high number of videocalls per cell will be problematic with
3G networks...

Under my point of view there are 4 key factors that must be addressed:

1- Easy of use
The service must be much more easier than using a P2P service.
Accessing, searching, paying and downloading should be very easy.

2- Costs
Acceptable costs. Downloading music should be interesting if compared
to buying a CD. I will have the property of the music tracks without
any time limit.

3- Variety
I should find a very big music selection of music presented in a
customized way.

4- Versatile
The service should cover all my music contexts so I need to be able to
listen to the music also at home and in my car as I do with my CDs.

Apple will introduce is own service by next monday and looks very
promising but I think it is still a big bet. Why should I use Apple's
services instead of downloading the same music for free in my iPod?

Here are some details:

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs is planning to make its official announcement
about the company's music-download service on Monday April 28 (6pm UK
time).

Billboard reports that "high-quality design and simplicity of use are
expected to be the hallmarks of the new digital music service from
Apple".

Label sources have told Bulletin that the service is an a la carte
download store - like that of rival Liquid Audio - that is built into
iTunes. No subscription is required for the service, and tracks are
expected to retail for an average of 99 US cents. Once purchased,
tracks are transferred to the iTunes music library, and are
automatically synched to the iPod. Content can also be burned to CD. "

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6258

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030414/101/dxpdb.html

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/04/15.5.shtml

Ciao