(keitai-l) Re: AW: Re: SMS and URLs - Nokia Series 60 2.0

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/08/03
Gioved=EC, 8 mag 2003, alle 14:56 Europe/Rome, Curt Sampson ha scritto:

> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Sandra Baron wrote:
>
>> Seeing the user bevahiour in Europe, it seems that "only" with a new
>> handset, that has brighter colours, a better sound and even a camera,
>> users start thinking that they step into the next generation of =
mobile
>> communication. Even if the old handsets had wap - nobody used it on=20=

>> the
>> old phone.
>
> That makes sense to me. I notice that moving from an F503i to an
> SO503iS, I do a lot more web browsing and use i-Applis a lot more. =
Why?
> Because it's just so much faster, even though I don't like the user
> interface quite as much.
>
> (In my first day with the Sony, I racked up more in packet charges =
than
> I usually do in a month.)

I agree with you that you need a new generation phone to have an
acceptable user experience but I also agree with Jeff that this could
be a good enabling feature for wap services.

As a user I would like to have the possibility of clicking urls in a SMS
as with Nokia Phones you capture phone numbers.

Let's say:

We set up a news services by SMS that delivers you a news
summary every day.

With activated links you could just click on an article and see
the full text in WAP.

> Will this change in the near future with improved versions
> of SMS or MMS?

I think that is a matter of software feature more than a new version of
SMS or MMS. So if Nokia messaging application does support
this or not or if Nokia is going to support in the new version of
Series 60 coming out in the fall ...

There is a problem here... On the Nokia Series 60 (7650, 3650 etc)
you can install different wap and web browsers. So for a feature
like this the messaging application should be able to understand
if the url is linked to a Wap page or a Web page. Otherwise you
should have a double mode browser not the single mode
wap-XHTML browser currently shipping on the 7650 and 3650
that is not capable of displaying html pages...

I have to check if there is something similar over
Nokia Series 40 or Series 60....

Anyway Series 60 2.0 based on Symbian 7s will be coming out in
fall probably to support a new W-CDMA Nokia phone that will
be introduced by end of fall-winter. There will be a lot of new feature
so maybe also this...

Giovanni=