(keitai-l) Re: AW: Is this the future?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/15/03
Mercoled=EC, 14 mag 2003, alle 12:19 Europe/Rome, Curt Sampson ha =
scritto:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Giovanni Bertani wrote:
>
>> The "smart"  capabilities of switching from a network to another
>> are sometimes described as part of the 4G.
>>
>> This is great is theory but can we expect the JP operators
>> pushing telephones (Designed by them) with this feature
>> if could jeopardize the traffic revenue?
>
> The first switching systems we're probably going to see here are
> wireless cards that switch between PHS and WiFi. In this case, it's
> actually enhancing traffic revenue, because the contracts are flat =
rate
> for unlimited data. So moving a user off of PHS and on to WiFi means
> that the carrier uses the (presumably cheaper) WiFi network to ship =
the
> packets around rather than the more expensive PHS network.
>
> (By cheaper, I'm not just referring to the costs of moving the packets
> through the air, but also getting them to the Internet once they've =
hit
> the base station. I do know of certain circumstances where this would=20=

> be
> a huge cost savings to the carrier, but unfortunately I can't give out
> the details here of exactly why this is.)

Very interesting...there is no flat-rate mobile service available
here in Italy... There used to be some launch offers for
GPRS but now you pay a lot fro every kbyte you
download and upload.

Anyway should be interesting differentiating the traffic also
by guaranteed QOS.  Like described in this Symbian press:

ultiple PDP contexts allow users of mobile
phones based  on Symbian OS v.7.0s to access
more than one network service at the same time
and with varying QoS. Users can access email
whilst simultaneously surfing the web or
downloading an application. For network operators,
this allows multiple, simultaneous revenue
streams from a single handset, each with a different
QoS and each with a different charging model.

Cheers

Giovanni