(keitai-l) Re: Big blow to Microsoft Mobile plans... T-Mobile drops MS based phone project

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/16/03
Here is the point with Linux :

http://www.thefeature.com/index.jsp?url=3Darticle.jsp?pageid=3D32715

For Motorola Linux value is leveraging on the great
developers number to fuel innovation with c++ development.

The weak part, and this is a really very weak part is that
Phones  are not PCs ( My god this is good!) and Motorola
has not a great  user interface design tradition....

Phones users are not all nerds...

For the Jap market I suppose they will be using linux just for
the kernel  and then they will build on top of that proprietary
and more usable interfaces.

So the value is not paying any license to Symbian or MS or
Palm and being able to develop something really going
after JP needs without being EU and US dependent.

Interesting is this:

If you see the  Fujitsu-Symbian Foma Phone in reality
  has nothing in common to the others Symbian phones.

The interface is proprietary and you can't install any c++
application on it... So they just used Symbian because
it is a stable a powerful  OS to develop on top of it..

Cheers

Giovanni

PS:  Juergen Apple is entering the JP mobile market with
quicktime now but maybe they are working on iWarmer =A9=20=