(keitai-l) The Eolas patent

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 09/17/03
In case you have only just returned from a two-week vacation in some
exotic but communication-free environment and have missed all the Eolas
flap: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1269693,00.asp

Eolas claims its patent covers the automatic loading of embedded
content in a browser using an external application: Flash, Shockwave,
Quicktime, Java to name but a few. Microsoft's use of ActiveX has been
there first (richest) target but I'm wondering what possible
ramifications to expect for the mobile Web?

While we are safe from this patent in Japan, what about mobile Java in
the US and anywhere else?

One possible quick-fix Microsoft may employ is to remove the
"automatic" part by popping up a confirmation box before loading any
plug-ins but there is still a lot of debate whether this will be
enough. Hopefully prior art can still save the day.

Software patents are silly. A critically flawed patent process, even
sillier.

Kyle

--

http://pukupi.com