(keitai-l) Re: Creating new DoJa UI Components

From: J. David Beutel <jdb_at_getsu.com>
Date: 09/17/03
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Sam Joseph wrote:

> This seems like a real shame, as being able to create new UI components
> would be extremely convenient, but I guess there's some barrier to it on
> the phone such as a restriction on using the com.nttdocomo.* classes or
> something else.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had ever tried this sort of thing,
> experienced the same sort of error.

I don't know about Docomo, but Sun's Java license forbids distributing
classes under java.*, javax.*, com.sun.*, etc.  Sun wants to control that
namespace for the sake of compatibility, e.g., to prevent developers from
unwittingly depending on 3rd-party extentions such as Microsoft's.

That also prevents package-level access, again in the name of future
compatibility, so package-level stuff can change without breaking the code
that uses that package.  But it is frustrating, as there are always
some things that you can do only with that level of access.  Perhaps for
Docomo there's even a security issue.

11011011