(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Alliance

From: Tom Hume <tom_at_futureplatforms.com>
Date: 10/08/03
On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 08:25, Nick May wrote:
> Has anyone seriously sat down and costed this?

Yes, we have.

> If you do not know what your markup language will let you do, you cannot
> build a service. If getting code out the door pronto is the name of the
> game, then imode-html has the edge I think...

I'm not suggesting that you don't need to know about markup languages,
just that there's a lot more to building a good mobile service than
writing tags.

It's the same with the web: whilst it's easy to build a web site,
building a decent one brings together a range of skills beyond knowing
HTML: so when you look at the overall effort in a large-scale web
project, you'll see similarly that writing the HTML is a small part of
the overall effort.

> The ability to do RAD with a browser and texteditor should not be
> underestimated - particularly for interface design.

I agree, but there's more to building usable worthwhile services than
RAD. This is nothing new: it's the same as with software projects, where
actual coding is a small percentage of overall effort (in most well-run
projects: 20% ) and design, planning, testing etc. make up the rest.

> I am trying to imagine my response if a manager were to announce to me
> that seeing as the new mega-system involved huge amounts of "effort"
> (however that is defined") and the actual code was just a small
> percentage of the "effort" we were going to code the lot in assembly...

Err yes, that's *exactly* what I was suggesting. All WAP apps to be
coded in assembly (or something equally meaningless).

--
Future Platforms Ltd.
www.futureplatforms.com