(keitai-l) Re: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: <wbc_at_tkk.att.ne.jp>
Date: 11/01/03
H Curt, with KDDI offering flat rates for browsing, I see the packet model rapidly deteriorating. At the moment browsing is pretty useless although some content is available but runs up quite a bill and the eperience is very poor when compared with a PC or possibly with a PDA. I think the internet grew to what it is now because it was free. Subscription services are not that much even in the US. For example WSJ is about 50 dollars a year or 4 dollars a month and you get infinitely more than what you can get for a subscription on i-mode. There are PDA optimized sites that work pretty well on a phone. BBC has a pretty good one (not subscription based and having nothing to do with Docomo) but still browsing it runs up the meter. I cannot see the packet model holding up and that is what I associate most with i-mode (is this incorrect?). As to email, I spoke to several people from France who assured me that email by phone was happening more than 3 years ago in France and that they
  were all doing it.