(keitai-l) Re: AW: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/05/03
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ken Chang wrote:

> au/KDDI and J-Phone are much better in the field....

It would be good to have a detailed description of why, from the user's
point of view (rather than from that of protocols the users never
see) this is the case. You assert this frequently, but provide little
evidence.

> J-Phone is the expert in messaging...

Even though you can't even put a subject line on your e-mail? Some expert!

> (1) J-Phone did a great job with
> Sha-Mail, significantly increased the data volume;

This I'll agree with; from the users' point of view, it is marginally
better. And AU also got things right with their mail gateway; you can
just attach a JPEG to mail from a computer and you can see it on the
phone. (Though I don't know if it will resize larger images.) You have
to use a separate gateway service for this for docomo.

> on (3) browsing, I think the most we read on the wired Internet
> today are still text, and besides porno (and the photo of P505iS or
> A760) we don't care graphics or flash that much, especially most of
> them are annoying ads.

This I'll agree with. In fact, it's one of the more enjoyable things
about browsing on my keitai; I get just what I need, and no annoying
pop-up windows, messages saying I should download flash 6, empty web
pages because I haven't, etc. etc. It's almost like the web in 1996,
which I liked better in some ways.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org