(keitai-l) Re: j-Phone new W-CDMA global roaming handset

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/20/03
The AU-Global Passport phones (A1303SA and C1001SA)
roam into all CDMA areas: USA, Thailand, Australia,
New Zealand, Guam, Canada etc.

DoCoMo-FOMA does chip-based roaming. So you just
take the chip out of the FOMA phone and put it
into any old GSM phone you want (which is not locked
to a carrier). That also give you the same Japanese
number even if you are in US or Europe or other
GSM countries.

So each: AU, Vodafone, and DoCoMo have roaming
solutions, every carrier's roaming solution
is different.

It's not at all that Vodafone Global Passport
is the only carrier with a roaming solution!!!

All Japanese carriers have multiple roaming
solutions now - it's not at all that Vodafone
is the only one. It's only that Vodafone is
emphasizing roaming in their marketing, so you
might think they are the only ones, but this
is not so.

You can find a short listing of the roaming
situation here:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/3G/

Gerhard

Eric Bossieux wrote:
> This wouldn't be a problem for me if I only traveled anywhere else but North America.
> Since I travel constantly to North America, I must have a phone that works there.
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html