(keitai-l) Re: Simpler iMode Email Question

From: Bill Volk <bvolk_at_teknikcorp.com>
Date: 11/23/03
Who do you suggest, re: iMode mail?

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net
[mailto:keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net] On Behalf Of Curt Sampson
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 7:23 PM
To: keitai-l@appelsiini.net
Subject: (keitai-l) Re: Simpler iMode Email Question

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Bill Volk wrote:

> How are spammers harvesting iMode email addresses?  Specifically, if a
> iMode user's real address is never used ... is there any chance that
> they would get SPAM?

Absoutely. "Dictionary attacks," where a spamer makes up e-mail
addresses and tries to send to them, to see if they exist, are a
standard tactic these days. To see the effectiveness, create two e-mail
addresses on hotmail or yahoo or whatever, one as short as you can
manage, using only lower-case letters with perhaps a number appended,
and the other very long with a good mix of numbers, letters and
punctuation, that also does not consist of English words. Wait a day or
two, and see which gets more spam.

But this list is probably not the place to discuss spammer's techniques.
There is a *lot* of information out there on the net about this,
including newsgroups devoted to this; you should go study these.

Or, as I said before, just hire someone. This is actually a very
large, complex field, and there are many people out there who devote
significant portions of their lives to it. I have some connections that
could easily get you a consultant, if you're willing to pay a reasonable
fee; contact me off-list if you want me to try to set you up with
someone.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org