(keitai-l) Re: Simpler iMode Email Question

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/23/03
On Nov 23, 2003, at 3:38 PM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> Essentially, you're promising a "lifetime E-mail address" (or at
> least one that you don't have to change much).

You will also have to promise one that you CAN change much - most of
the younger ladies I know change their e-mail addresses every few weeks
- not because of spam - but because it reflects the new music they are
listening to, new perception of self, new hair colour, etc.

eg, something like:

eri.poo.bear.eminem.cool.goldy@ etc etc...

As I recollect, docomo give a "refund" of a hundred yen or so to cover
the "spam" email. (Is this correct?). Obviously, they make it up
elsewhere - but how many people on this list get spam to their keitai
costing MORE than the docomo "refund"?

I never get spam, so I "profit". (7 letter/number address)

Just how bad IS the spam problem, in terms of received emails? To those
that say, it is a problem if the user perceives it to be a problem, I
can only respond that if the user objects to ANY spam, even one a
month, getting to their keitai, then spam filtering is NOT for them.
Filtering reduces spam - turn the strictness up too far and you start
to get too many false positives. The false positive problem is
handle-able on a  desktop - just send them to another folder marked
"spam" and let the user check them manually - but how do you handle
them on a keitai...? Back to a web interface, or pop interface and
handle them "off handset"?

Incidentally - has anyone hacked together spam filtering/message
re-routing  for their keitai using mail.app on MacosX? It has fairly
good filtering with a bit of training - cuts my 300 spam a day down to
about 4.

Nick