(keitai-l) Re: keitais killing digital consumer cameras (Ore more) softly

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/22/03
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, nick may wrote:

> Keitais are killing the mobile telephone.

Quite possibly true. Not that I'll miss it so much.

> What we have now are HIDEOUS devices that simply do not hack it as
> regards their basic function - making phone calls. The killer app of
> keitai isn't email, it's PHONE CALLS!

Well, in your opinion. I and most of my friends send and receive far
more e-mail messages than they make or receive phone calls.

> But to keep the operator's profits high we have to carry around ever
> heavier lumps of high-tech crap that don't do ANYTHING well - and have
> truly dire voice quality.

Well, there are still pretty light lumps of high-tech crap that are
available. You can still get phones under 70 g today.

As for the voice quality, that's nothing to do with adding
the other functionality; that's to do with the amount of bandwidth
voice uses. Even if we didn't have e-mail (in fact, probably moreso if
we didn't have e-mail) on phones, the carriers would be using heavy
compression to try to minimize bandwidth per call, with the resulting
loss of voice quality.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org