(keitai-l) Re: keitai as a carrying pouch

From: Ryan Shaw <ryanshaw_at_SIMS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 12/27/03
> what you said seems common knowledge but none of them describe
> the real difference between conversation and messaging.
>
> like the money separates selling and buying,
> mail-boxes separate talking and listening,
> that the key word is "non-real-time"

I would argue that rather than being "real-time" or
"non-real-time," communication technologies occupy
a spectrum with face-to-face conversation on one end
and time capsules on the other. Text messaging is
considerably closer to the former, plus it has the
benefits I mentioned earlier, thus you can see why
people do often prefer it to voice. Mail-boxes are
really irrelevant--when email to phones is implemented
in an i-mode fashion, it is "real-time" enough for
most people.

Ryan