(keitai-l) Re: Video Formats & Languages

From: Sydenham Michael <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 01/20/04
Hi Blain

Some quick answers

For AU - ezmovie try here
http://www.au.kddi.com/ezfactory/tec/spec/ezmovie01.html

apparently there is a new format (3gpp2) which will be supported by the
latest quicktime. The latest handsets (WIN) support SMIL & embedded movie
content - not sure if that info is available yet - try the above site. It
is a good starting point for all things AU development-related.

For FOMA - there are 2 formats
Type 1 FOMA using a variation of Microsoft's ASF - Spot media
http://www.voiceage-spot.com/
Type 2 FOMA using 3gpp - supposedly QT supports it, however you can try
PacketVideo's tool (www.pv.com) which works. There are a couple of others
also.

You can find details about linking to these formats on the respective
carrier's pages (including the AU one above).

I don't know about J-Phone, which I think recently started something -
maybe Nik can tell us.

About testing, you should test on the phone since emulators will not give
you an accurate feel for playback on a real phone. Emulators for video are
basically only good for verifying your file is at least playable - not how
many frames you are dropping or eventual quality.

HTH.

Regards

Michael.