(keitai-l) Re: Banking services on Keitai

From: Jeffrey L. Funk <funk_at_iir.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 01/29/04
I have read almost every relevant article on the mobile Internet in the
Nikkei Shinbun over the past few years and have not found one signal
article that provides numbers on the number of mobile banking transactions
for any bank. I have interviewed several of these banks and they were
unwilling to provide this form of data. they told me the number of
subscribers but not the number of actual transactions. I have also
interviewed almost 20 mobile shopping sites and they claim there are almost
no mobile banking payments used in purchases. Instead the purchases are
about 50-50 COD and credit card (my recent book - mobile disruption -
provides more data) and here is where Valista's service may be facilitating
credit card payments more than bank payments. I cannot help but conclude
that mobile banking is not being done. whether this is because people are
not interested or because they perceive the services are too complex is
another question. given that japanese ATMs almost always have a long line
of people waiting suggests there is a need.
Cheers,
Jeff Funk