(keitai-l) Re: New Nokia gimmick

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 06/03/04
 > Nokia will release its forthcoming 3220 line with a new
 > feature, that allows users to display up to 15 characters
 > in mid-air. This feature controls 15 leds that light
:::::
 > This is something I'd imagine catching on in Japan rather
 > than Europe/the US. Any similar developments there?

It's the other way round, Andy. That's something which
was fashionable in Japan about 5-8 years ago, for example
traffic guards on building sites hat this type of LED
wand, and there was a display like this on the walls
of the tunnel going out to Narita Airport in Tokyo.
It was invented by a small Japanese company. I guess
that Nokia's R&D people picked this up in Japan and
either bought the company, or licensed the Technology
for use outside Japan. Japan is pretty technology crazy,
so these type of things come and go. If you show this
type of thing to today's teenagers in Japan, they'll
probably say: "aaaa.... I remember, when I was a kid
that was fashionable...." and yawn....

Gerhard
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
                                        http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html