(keitai-l) High Five: Nokia Bolsters its Mobile Phone Product Portfolio

From: <Carlos.Heredia_at_corp.terra.es>
Date: 06/15/04
Contemporary clamshells, a megapixel 3G WCDMA smartphone and stylish
mid-range phones
Helsinki, Finland - Mid-range clamshells and products for new growth
markets took center-stage today, as Nokia revealed the latest additions to
its product portfolio at the annual Nokia Connection conference.  Held
simultaneously in Singapore and Helsinki, the conference also witnessed the
launch of the world's smallest 3G GSM/WCDMA phone.

Chairman and CEO Jorma Ollila launched the products, including three
clamshell phones and a 3G WCDMA smartphone aimed at bringing 3G to the
broader market.  Introducing the products, he said, "We have now sharpened
our product portfolio in key areas, bringing new phones to the market in
the mid-range, and adding more clamshells to our offering." Nokia's ongoing
commitment to growth markets was also evident, with the launch of two new
color-screen phones tailored for these areas.

Nokia's newest 3G phone, the Nokia 6630 featured prominently at the
conference, combining the benefits of 3G, EDGE and Series 60, the world's
leading smartphone platform.  The Nokia 6630 boosts personal information
management in 3G WCDMA networks with secure access to corporate Intranet
and email at mobile broadband speeds.  Uniquely, the Nokia 6630 is the
first dual-mode, tri-band handset designed to work on 3G (WCDMA), EDGE and
2G networks in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Combined with the power of
customization enabled by Series 60, operators will be able to deploy
successful services across different networks and across the world.
Read more about the Nokia 6630 at
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948877_5.html

Nokia also launched the Nokia 6260 phone, a high-performance business phone
designed for mobile professionals.  It offers the latest mobile technology
features and applications, including push to talk, email, Bluetooth
connectivity and a VGA camera in an innovative fold design.  The tri-band
Nokia 6260 smartphone is based on the Symbian operating system and Series
60, the world's leading smartphone platform.  As for the design: it is more
than just a clamshell, it's a fold with a twist!
Read more about the Nokia 6260
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948876_5.html

In the mid-range, the Nokia 6170 is an attractive, clamshell camera phone
that combines modern, stainless steel design with a feature set that
emphasizes quality of life.  The strength of this phone is its flexible
messaging options: e-mail, instant messaging, MMS and push to talk all in
one handset. Push to talk brings GSM subscribers a totally new way of using
mobile phone for one-on-one and group communications. Several operators
around the world are likely to launch push to talk services this year,
introducing an enticing option for operators, business users and consumers.
Read more about the Nokia 6170 at
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948875_5.html

The remaining two phones announced today enhance Nokia's product offering
towards mobile subscribers in growing markets.  The Nokia 2650 is an
affordable, small and stylish clamshell phone with a color display and
balanced functionality. It is Nokia's first color display phone in the
entry category.  The Nokia 2600 is a classically designed and easy-to-use
phone which is ideal for small business owners and professionals.  Of
particular interest is the spreadsheet application for bookkeeping and
customizable converter. Together, the Nokia 2600 and Nokia 2650 bring color
displays to new price points. Color is now reaching entry-level phones.
Read more about the Nokia 2650 and the Nokia 2600 at
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948871_5.html
In addition to the phones, Nokia launched a foldable keyboard with wireless
Bluetooth connection.  It serves an an extension to Series 60 phones like
the Nokia 6260 and Nokia 6630, enabling easy text input to phone
applications, including e-mail. The wireless keyboard is compatible with
Series 60 phones with Bluetooth support, and is addressed towards business
users.
Read more about the Nokia Wireless Keyboard at
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948873_5.html

In summarizing the new releases, Ollila also touched on Nokia's plans to
strengthen the focus on R&D and renew its product portfolio: "Earlier this
year we said we would renew our product portfolio by introducing a range of
new products. This has not changed. During the spring, we have conducted a
thorough analysis of our roadmaps; we have reviewed the timings and pruned
our portfolio, adding some new products and accelerating others - and
during this process, we have even killed some product plans.  As a result
of this work, I feel that we will have a much sharper and competitive
product range to meet the expectations of both consumers and operators. All
in all, we expect to launch a total of approximately 35 products globally
this year."