(keitai-l) Re: DRM (was: using dual GSM/CDMA phones overseas)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/24/04
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> This may be going on in the back streets of Akihabara...

But quite possibly not. The Japanese seem to "co-operate" with this
sort of thing. You'd be amazed, for example, at how hard it is to get a
chipped Playstation here. (It's trivial in other countries.)

I'm quite certain that the reason you can get region-free DVD players
here easily is that no manufacturer has taken it upon themselves to put
a stop to it. Sony did do so with the Playstation, and they were pretty
darn successful. And that's a stand-alone device; folks who sell devices
that are relatively useless when not attached to a network have a lot
more power.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org