(keitai-l) scripting on phones

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 06/27/04
I am looking for an iappli that will give me a simple scripting
language and an interpreted environment that I can run on a phone. I
don't care what language it is, OPL, interpreted Forth, Basic, PHP,
Javascript or even, at a pinch, perl. I know something (perl?) is
available for a Nokia phone, but I don't 'ave one of dem... I would
even tolerate an assembly environment at a pinch - it would at least
remind me of good coding habits.

It's in part "just for fun" (I code to relax, I'd far rather knock up
some silly little app in the back of a taxi than play Tetris) in part
because I have all kinds of little daily "needs" (I s'pose I should
re-phrase that - but you know what I mean) that could be handled by
some simple little language....

The Sinclair ZX80 had  a 4k rom and 1k of ram - shared with screen
memory.  The ZX81 had 8k of rom and 1k ram - again - shared with the
screen... I am not looking for an emulator of either - but something of
the same capability would be fine. It should be easy enough to do on a
modern phone.

Please don't write to the list saying "why not learn Java" - I can't
write it on the phone in the back of a taxi, for starters - and besides
it looks alarmingly like "work".... And, it is overkill - and that is
aesthetically rebarbative.

Has anyone been arsed to code something up like this?

(Pointers to FAQ's are fine, pointers to paid FAQ's that aren't up
front about it - thanks, but no...)

Nick