(keitai-l) Re: Nerw Opera Mobile porxy based broowser

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/01/04
Mika,

I am not an expert on these things. But:
(a) AU now has 2.4 Mbps download, and DoCoMo will soon have
10 Mbps download so the limits will not be
the radio section of the signal path, but other bottlenecks.
(b) there probably already is compression in the telecommunication
system (I don't know for sure but it's easy to check).
If there is already good compression than additional compression
will not improve things much. This is just my guess, but can
easily be checked.

Gerhard

Mika Tuupola wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Mika Tuupola wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Gerhard Fasol wrote:
>>

>>>In Japan it's flat-rate data now, so compression only slows
>>>things down, but does not make any change for
>>>flat-fee-all-you-can-eat data.
>>
>>	Actually it speeds things up atleast in two ways.
>>
>>	1) since there is less data it takes less time to transfer
>>	the page from the server to the handset, thus making the
>>	pages load faster.
>>
>>	2) since it takes less time to serve the page to
>>	the handset, the server processes will available
>>	sooner to serve the next request. This lessens the
>>	load on the content server, thus speeding things
>>	up.
>

> 	Uh, must clarify myself a bit. I was talking about
> 	content compression in general. I have no experience
> 	with the Opera Proxy.

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html