(keitai-l) Re: Trains/Transportation mobile services?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/07/04
Actually, on some JR (=Japan Railway lines) all the conductors
have wireless terminals, where they cross-check the seat
occupation with the information from the station entrance
barriers. i.e. when you walk through the ticked barrier, the
train conductor's terminal on the train marks your reserved
seat as occupied, so the conductors only need to check the
tickets of people who sit on the wrong seats, or who for some
reason did not use the automatic barrier. I was amazed when I
saw this, and asked the conductor to explain it to me. Later
I found the documentation in the JR materials. Later this year
this system will also be partially linked to SUICA e-tickets.

Gerhard

Giovanni Bertani wrote:
> I am looking for mobile services offered by train companies.
>
> I've read about:
>
> 1) electronic tickets
> 2) contactless systems
> 3) Route calculation services
> 4) Mobile phone booking
>
> Is there any other interesting application?
>
> Thanks
>
> Giovanni
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html