(keitai-l) Re: Question concerning barcodes on a Keitai

From: Christopher Kobayashi <chriskk_at_gmail.com>
Date: 07/26/04
> You can expect any new mobile released by either DoCoMo, Vodafone or AU
> to include support for QR code (except the camera-less Premini).

That makes QR code the standard here. I'm noticing more Ad posters in
the stations, inside the trains/subways, and at the convenience
stores, but haven't actually seen someone use their keitai to scan. I
can't imagine people in the packed trains doing this either, since it
seems frowned upon to take keitai photos in the trains. Especially
with the sound that the camera makes. BUT, then again on the last
trains, when everyone's drunk it doesn't matter.
I did see a small map/guide book for Vodafone keitais. The book didn't
have any guide/travel information, but each page's main content was a
map w/ QR code on the top of each page. The QR code sent the keitai to
a web app w/ detailed guide/travel info for that particular page's
map.

Has there been a giant QR code poster in Shibuya crossing yet?

> The convenience store has a 2D bar code reader
> which reads a numeric code from your phone, which has your billing
> information and linked up with DoCoMo's server prints out you bill.

The 2D barcodes on the keitai are from a web application generated on
a server, or is there some built-in software/hardware that generates
this on the phone?

chriskk