(keitai-l) iAppli Power Consumption Question

From: Mike Campbell <mjc_at_tkk.att.ne.jp>
Date: 08/12/04
Does anyone know how we can extend the battery life of a FOMA mobile handset when continuously running an iAppli?  is there some way to put the app into a sleep-wake up mode (for example every 30 seconds) that will significantly improve battery endurance?
We have developed an iAppli that makes periodic information update requests to a remote server on the internet (for example every 15 seconds). When we were testing the app to see how long it could run on one battery charge we discovered that on a FOMA Sharp 900 phone it runs for approx 3 hours before the battery died. We then retested the app with the update request function switched off (ie just running the app with no network connectivity), we found that the battery still only lasted for three hours.

Does anyone know how we might be able to modify the app so that it goes to the network and gets an update and then sleeps (ie consumes minimal power) until it needs to wake up again (or is woken up by user intervention)?

appreciate any feedback

regards

Mike