(keitai-l) Re: shift-jis on i-mode

From: Renfield Kuroda <renfield.kuroda_at_db.com>
Date: 09/22/04
Shift-jis and JIS (ISO-2022-JP) are totally different encodings.
JIS is described by RFC #1468: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1468.html
Basically JIS uses escape sequences to indicate Japanese character blocks,
and all bytes of a JIS message are 7-bit clean.

Shift-jis, on the other hand, uses single-byte (7-bit) for ascii
characters and half-width katakana, and double-byte encoding for Japanese
characters, where the first byte of the Japanese character indicates if it
is the first byte of a double-byte character or not (by being 8-bit.)

Regards,

r e n

--
Vice President, Japan Equity Research
Deutsche Securities Limited, Tokyo Branch

ippo jitsu mugai
kenkon toku ittei
suimo hono mitsu
dochaku soku kosei