(keitai-l) Re: shift-jis on i-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 09/22/04
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Jonas Petersson wrote:

> One of us is confused. I went through a conversion jungle for japanese
> about a month ago and I'm pretty sure that ISO-2022-JP is the "real" JIS
>  while Shift_JIS is something really strange that M$ has invented
> (seemingly to confuse everyone else).

When people use the word "JIS" in the context of a character set
encoding, they usually mean ISO-2022-JP. Shift_JIS is entirely
different. It is a standard, however. If you're using MS products,
though, depending on what characters you use, you may end up using
a variant of Shift_JIS with some extra characters that will not be
interpreted correctly in some cases on, say, some Unix systems.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***