(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: Ian Mansfield <ian.mansfield_at_amplefuture.com>
Date: 03/02/05
That sounds a bit worrying.

I recall an attempt by BTCellnet (now O2) in the UK to do the same a few years ago with their PrePay handsets - storing the credit inside the handset.

Not a good idea, as it was hacked and the company had to change its PrePay platform to a server sided solution to stem the huge losses it was getting from people "topping up" their credit for free.

I know encryption has improved since then - but anything is hackable eventually.

> No, it was processed on your card in real time. The card itself stores
> the information about how much credit you have left. (It's encrypted and
> all that, of course.) I strongly suspect that if you lose the card, all
> your credit on it is gone.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***

This mail was sent to address ian.mansfield@amplefuture.com