(keitai-l) Re: Small Phones Not Popular in Japan?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/14/05
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, nick may wrote:

> Is that the original premini? The one you have to be v.careful not to
> sit on as it has the dimensions and shape of a suppository?

Yes.

> If so, it is rather old now - so no surprise they are being given away.
> The 702NK Voda lobotomized-phone has been available for 1yen for a
> while.

Available for 1 yen to existing subscribers who have changed their
phones in the last two months?

This is basically giving them away for free to anybody, as far as I can
tell. You just go in, with any sort of subscription, say "I want a new
phone," and they give it to you.

> The Premini's  problem isn't that it is small  and light - it is - just
> that it is so THICK and the screen so small. The same phone squashed
> flat wold have been fine. They could do it with the P504i - and that
> was YEARS ago....

Actually, they've done better than that (albeit without Java) in one of
the newish phones whose model I completely forget. It's a reasonably
recent flip-phone in the Mova non-Java series (25x?), and it's extremely
thin.

Given the otherwise small dimensions, the thickness doesn't bother me
much--at least not yet. I can easily keep it in a front pocket, which is
kind of a nice change.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***