(keitai-l) Re: NEC launches European i-mode 3G phone

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/05/05
Paul Lester wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'd want linux on my mobile....
> as I can get the source code
> for it and so could a malicious hacker.

That is not so. For example, in cryptography those encryption
methods are most secure, where the encryption algorithm is
open and generally known.

The reason is that for an open code a huge community works
on fixing any holes in the security.

Keeping a particular encryption algorithm secret does not make
that algorithm safer.

I guess that the same is probably true for OS.

For example the UNIX and LINUX source codes are open, and
pretty secure if well managed.

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                http://www.eurotechnology.com/