(keitai-l) QR versus Semacode?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/10/05
Mohit:

Regarding QR codes, you have to look at several layers.
QR codes were initially developed for logistics and
supply chain management in the automotive industry and
have recently found explosive growth in mobile communications
in Japan.
The specifications for QR codes for mobile phones in Japan
are a bit more restrictive than the full QR code specification.
The data capacity depends on the level of error correction
chosen etc.

We just published a report on QR codes in Japan's mobile industry:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/qr-code/index.html
you'll find a lot of data on the data capacity, installed base,
usage there.

In Japan QR codes are patented, but apparently the patents
are not executed so the usage is free of charge.

Hope this addresses most of your questions.

Gerhard

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
> In the past few weeks, I have heard quite a bit on this list about QR
> Codes and a bit about Semacode.  Now, I'm curious.  How do they stack up
> against each other?
>
> Are they complimentary or competitive?
> Which stores more data?
> Which works faster?
> How is costing done for each?
> User base?
>
> Thanks,
> mohit.
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                 http://www.eurotechnology.com/