(keitai-l) Re: QR versus Semacode?

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 07/11/05
On Jul 10, 2005, at 14:18, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

> In the past few weeks, I have heard quite a bit on this list about QR
> Codes and a bit about Semacode.  Now, I'm curious.  How do they
> stack up
> against each other?
>
> Are they complimentary or competitive?

They operate in different markets so are not competitive (yet).

QR codes on mobiles are only a Japanese thing for now as there is no
easily available QR code reader for non-Japanese mobiles whereas
Semacode have a reader that will work on most mobiles.

Both offer as simple method to feed URLs to mobiles but with QR codes
you can also embed phonebook entries, bookmarks, email messages and
even images.

> Which stores more data?

While QR codes can be quite large, mobile QR code only support sizes
up to version 10.

> Which works faster?

My N901iS reads QR code faster than a Semacode (same URL) on my Nokia
6680 but this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

> How is costing done for each?

I suspect the reason you don't see any free QR code readers out there
is because of Denso licensing. There are a ton of free QR code
generators out there including mine at http://pukupi.com/tools/
codeatron/

Semacode tools are available at http://semacode.org/software/

> User base?

QR codes are everywhere in Japan and have been supported by the big
three carriers here for some time so the user base is massive.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e