You probably all already heard it but:
Even small amounts of methanol (tasting and smelling (and giving the same a wanted intoxication) like its big brother ethanol), e.g. the 7cc would be etremely dangerous and lethal to consume.
When the body, i.e. liver, degrades methanol two important products are formed; formic acid and foramldehyde. Whereas the acid lovers the blood pH and causes most of the deaths and I dont remeber whether it is this acid or the formaldehyde that damages the nervous system, especially the parts that take care of vision.
Actaully treatment of methanol poisoning usually involves injecting ethanol since it has precedence over methanol degradation within the liver. The patient is then connected to dialysis apparatus for removal of methanol and or products.
I think such a fuel cell innovation actually would be banned in Sweden.
From: Nick May [mailto:nick_at_kyushu.com]
Sent: den 30 september 2005 17:10
Subject: (keitai-l) Is methanol drinkable?
I KNOW that keitai-l is in "trappist monk" mode at the moment (either
that, or my spam filter has acquired a little TOO much intelligence -
I guess that strange e-mail I got demanding I refer to it as "HAL"
may have been more than a joke...)
[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]
Received on Tue Oct 4 14:19:19 2005