(keitai-l) [Event] W-CDMA/EVDO Mobile Security, ICA Japan, Nov 17, 18.30

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew.shuttleworth_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11/14/05
Forwarding details of the ICA's mobile related presentation this week for
anyone interested. I hear the presenter is good. Any help spreading the word
would be much appreciated.
 Andrew
(Apologies if the line break formatting is not perfect)
 ===
ICA November 17 Event at FCCJ
Topic: W-CDMA/EVDO Mobile Security
While our reliance on mobile communications has increased, the
reliability and dependability of these networks has steadily decreased.
The original voice-only mobile networks were very secure from external
security threats. However as Mobile messaging services became popular,
mobile networks were subject to spam attacks which were primarily a nuisance

but not a security threat. The advent of GPRS, CDMA 1xRTT and now W-CDMA
and EVDO has introduced full Internet connectivity to mobile networks.
The entire Internet is now connected to mobile networks through a
direct path with Emerging IMS platforms that mobile operators are
planning to deploy. Mobile network operators are just starting to realize
the
enormity of the problem. There is serious concern that Internet
connectivity will expose mobile networks to a wide range of security
threats.

Questions to be answered by this presentation include:

* What are the security threats in the Mobile operators eco-system?
* What are the opportunities for technology companies and System
Integrators?
* How big is the Mobile Security market?
* How does IMS (IP Multimedia) Network deployments impact Mobile
Operator Security?
* How does lack of Mobile Security in operator's network impact
Consumers?
* Why should the Government be concerned about Mobile Network Security?

Our presenter, Greg Tarr, founded SecureMobile in 2005 focused on
W-CDMA/EVDO Network Security, and CrossPacific Capital in 1998 focused
on Asia/Japan Business Development for Venture Capital funds + Mobile
Technology Startups. His angel investments and/or interim VP roles in
Silicon Valley/Greater China/Japan/Korea firms include Azteq Mobile, Kodiak
Networks, IP Unity, Linktone (Nasdaq Exit March 2004), Smartpay,
Proquent Systems (acquired by Byte Mobile), Snowshore Networks, Com2us,
Infobank, Intrinsic, Unitech + Asia Online. Greg earned a B.A. in
Psychology and Marketing at University of Colorado-Boulder and an MBA from
Pepperdine University-Los Angeles and attended Bronx H.S. of Science.

PRESENTER:
Greg Tarr, Founder & Chief Executive Officer, SecureMobile and Partner,
CrossPacific Capital

Meeting Details