(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs mobile email

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/29/05
 > And if so, can you explain the breakdown and
 > where you got the figures from to clarify that?

Helen,

thanks again for your comments. I have now added a detailed
explanation of the sources for the data below the figures:
http://eurotechnology.com/blog/2005/11/sms-is-staggering-success-mobile-email.html

The data are all official data by the mobile operators,
or by industry associations. These data are all official
public data, but it takes a lot of systematic effort and
work to keep track of all these data. We are constantly
researching all these data as a basis of our telecom
strategy consulting work, and you can find some of this
work also in our published reports:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/

The numbers of emails/day/person and similar basic usage
data in Japan are figures which every serious mobile industry
professional in Japan has at the back of his head. You can't do
business successfully in Japan's mobile industry without this
basic knowledge (although many foreigners are trying).
It's like "The Knowledge" for London Taxi drivers.
So no serious Japan-mobile industry professional will
be surprised by the data in these figures. However, I am
not surprised that you are surprised.

Also what you are writing about PC, internet and
broadband penetration in Japan dates from about 1995
(I work with Japan's telecom industry since 1984).
At that time what you write was correct. Today its
very wrong.

Fact is, that there are not many English speaking
serious Japan-mobile industry professionals around,
and for this reason several well known foreign giants
in the mobile industry have huge problems in Japan.

Gerhard
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/
g.fasol@ieee.org                              fasol@eurotechnology.com