(keitai-l) Re: Global roaming, JPN - UK

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 11/30/05
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:03:01 +0900
Kyle Barrow <kyle@pukupi.com> wrote:

> > I note incoming visitors tend to roam onto Foma, and everything
> > works as
> > advertised.
> >
> > So is Foma any better in terms of worldwide usability? I'm desperately
> > hanging on for number portability to arrive, but the fingers are
> > getting
> > numb.
>
> There is little difference in the global service area between the two
> but Vodafone is cheaper and because it usually has a local presence,
> offers better support and services. Docomo's only roaming FOMA mobile
> is the N900ig.

In the case of inbound roaming, cheaper or not depends on inbound
roamer's home operator. I am a "permanent inbound roamer" and I noticed
that, e.g., for SMS, DoCoMo is cheaper than Vodafone. I can't say that
DoCoMo's network is better than Vodafone though. One of the problems
with DoCoMo is, many of DoCoMo's W-CDMA basestations are still using
revision 99 of 3GPP specification, which is not compatible with most
overseas handsets.

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                                          --  Albert Einstein