(keitai-l) Re: smartphones

From: <martyn_williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 12/08/05
Gerhard

Smartphones are indeed difficult to define

> > Definition A:
> > A smartphone is a phone which runs Symbian or MS, but
> > not any other operating system...

I think it's more important to look at the applications and functionality
of the phone than define only OSes A, B and C.

> > Defintion B:
> > A smartphone is a phone which contains PIM, desktop
> > applications, picture editing, and the following
> > specific software:

In general the ability to view Word and Excel documents seems common and
maybe Acrobat (this in itself would narrow the field down to Symbian, MS
PPC and Linux phones), plus a self-sync ability with a PC (ie, the sync can
be initated from the phone). I think e-mail and Web are a given but perhaps
some level of Web access might come into the conversation, such as
HTML/full browser.

> > Definition C:
> > A smartphone is a phone which allows syncinc with a
> > Microsoft Windows PC?

Most phones will sync, at some level, with a PC (why just Windows?). Even
the most basic Japanese phones will sync with a third-party PC app. that
handles the operation.

Martyn