(keitai-l) Re: [way, way off topic] Re: imode JP news in English 2006

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/29/05
On 28 Dec 2005, at 15:05, Michael(tm <= trademark?) Smith wrote:

> Care to cite some source for that info?

Of course the big problem with "quotable sources" is that the Graun
does not release "real data" - and since it isn't clear how one would/
should do a cost split between the online operation and the print
operation, there is much scope for financial jiggery pokery.

The Observer has the following (September 11, 2005), quoting the
chief executive of GNL

<quote>
'We are trying to be the best ever newspaper and the best ever
website, but it is still too early to see exactly how the website
will be a big revenue earner. But we will keep investing in it,
because at some stage it will make money, and there are all sorts of
ways of doing that, including, in some circumstances, charging for
content.'
<quote />

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1567198,00.html

Paid content.org has a post  on Nov 10, 2005 that says the following....

http://www.paidcontent.org/pc/arch/cat_guardian.shtml

<quote>
  Guardian Online In Profits? [by rafat] : Guardian Online, one of
the biggest news/newspapers sites in UK, is in profits this year,
according to Simon Waldman, director of digital publishing at
Guardian Newspapers. This will come as news and surprise to some
people, who swore to me over the last 2-3 years or so that the site
must be bleeding money with all its online efforts on the editorial
side.
<quote />

Until I have seen the figures - and the cost allocations - if the
Graun ever lets them out the door - which I rather doubt it will - I
will stand by what I have been told.

Nick

.