(keitai-l) Re: Handsets with full web browsers

From: Michael(tm) Smith <smith_at_xml-doc.org>
Date: 12/29/05
Christopher Kobayashi <chriskk@gmail.com> writes:

> > I have a W31T (Toshiba) and like it. A lot. There's a nice
> > animation at the Toshiba site that illustrates the full-browser
> > behavior.
> >   http://www.toshiba.co.jp/product/etsg/cmt/au/w31t/w31t_02.htm
>
> My better half just picked up the W32T (Toshiba) and it seems to be a
> sweet keitai. Well, except for the color (pink), I'm jealous... A
> couple of things that bother me about the full-browser (Opera ver
> 7.60) are the 'au style' banner that takes up about 15% of the screen
> top's real estate for every page I look at.

You can turn that off. Start up the browser and go to:

  設定 > 名種表示設定 > 広告表示領域

And change it to "Off".

You also probably want to go to:

  設定 > その他設定 > 起動時警告表示

And change that to しない to get rid of the warning message that
is otherwise shown each time you start up the browser.

> The Anti-Alias is something new, but I personally prefer No
> Anti-Alias especially for a small screen. Last thing that
> bothers me, the pricing cap is higher.  The lower plan (Double
> Teigaku Light) starts at \1,000/month and maxes at \5,700/month,
> which is \1,500 more than the keitai-browser plan.

Yeah, with the base double-flat rate, you get unlimited use of the
EZWeb browser. The additional 1500 yen gets you unlimited use of
the other browser -- the full browser (PC Site Viewer). Given that
the packet traffic generated when you use the full browser is
typically 4 or 5 times that of what you'd generate with the EZWeb
browser (which I think is limited by spec to only displaying pages
up to 40K), that seems like maybe not such a bad deal.

> Everytime I see that little blinking PC icon at the top, I feel
> like our money getting sucked out of our pockets and into their
> scheme.

Without the flat rate cap at 5700 yen, if you were to do much web
viewing with the full browser, I would think you could easily ring
up charges in the range of 20,000 yen a month or more.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://tokyo.metblogs.com/